You have brains in your head.
You have feet in your shoes
You can steer yourself any direction you choose.
You're on your own. And you know what you know.
And YOU are the guy who'll decide where to go.
- Dr. Seuss "Oh the Places You'll Go"

Sunday, August 28, 2011

India: Phase Two

My Indian Summer has come to a close. With about 150 volunteers coming through Rising Star this summer it was definitely a busy one but SO SO much fun. I will miss the other coordinators who have been here with me since I got here but overall I am very excited for this next stage at Rising Star--the off season. So far I'm a BIG FAN of life at Rising Star without volunteer sessions. Don't get me wrong, I love having volunteers here, there is tons of life and energy with every new group that comes through and it is amazing to see how excited and vibrant the kids get with each group. The thing I like about the off-season thus far, though, is the sense of calm and familiarity. The kids are used to us volunteers that are here and they are falling into more of a set schedule now and because us volunteers that are here are part of that schedule we have become even more like family. I am SO EXCITED for my next 8 months here--I already know it's going to be amazing.

Now don't think the volunteer sessions didn't end without a party. :) At the end of each session, Life Dance  (Rising Star's dance team) performs all of their dances for the volunteers. After the last session's performance a huge dance party basically broke out and the kids pulled out all their best moves--it was ridiculously awesome. To say these kids can dance doesn't even cut it, they all have this innate sense of rhythm that you don't see very often. They are seriously the coolest kids around.

This is Ashok (the one from the trash can). Who would have thought you'd find a legit popper in the middle of nowhere in India??

He's too good to just have one video

Vignesh, Vimalkanth, and Joseph were FEELIN IT!!

Basically this whole summer was a huge party. From the first session to the last it was tons of fun to meet new volunteers, play with the kids, and generally just have an awesome time. :) This video is after Life Dance's first performance for session 1--they are just legit all the time.

Vanakkam

No comments:

Post a Comment